Recent Posts

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Harry Potter & Project Management

This is a great post on the Unclutterer blog:
Post on JK Rowling's organization of Harry Potter

about how JK Rowling organized her thinking about the storylines of her Harry Potter series. I was never a Potter fan until last year. I dismissed the books as just for kids after summarily reading the first one. Luckily I picked it up again and just became entranced with the whole thing. I devoured all the books and movies one after the other. My life was put on hold until I was done... (I'm sure millions of fans around the world have had similar experiences).

In coming to appreciate the books, it dawned on me that Rowling's achievement was monumental. I was witness to a masterpiece: the books are elaborately crafted affairs with things happening in book 2 that don't rear their heads until books 5 or 6. She didn't just write the 1st book, and then after all the money came in, say "Oh that did well... Let me write another". No... she had these plotlines and twists organized from the very beginning! It is just amazing to see this mastery of organization in action!

No comments: